Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tragedy

We all have those times don't we, when it seems like everything around is goes wrong, or is sad, or when the world seems full of despair.  Everyone has those times.  This week we've seen the pictures of the natural disaster in Japan.  There are estimates of 10,000 people dead or missing.  Now, there are reports of all sorts on what could come from the melt down of the nuclear power plants there.  It's all unbelievable, scary, especially in a country that is like our own, educated, wealthy, cultured.  But it can happen anywhere, tragedy can strike anywhere, both in mass, as in Japan, or with a divorce, the loss of a loved one, or depression of any sort.  What do we do with those feelings?  What do we make of it?  I've been reminded this week just how short and uncertain our time on earth is.  Whether it be a natural disaster, a sudden illness, or loss of life to depression, life can end so quickly.  So what matters?  Where we are going when this life ends and what we've done with our time here.  First problem solved easily, God tells us there is a heaven and if we believe in Him, in his existance and that he loves us and sent His Son to die for our sins, we can be in Heaven with Him for eternity.  Secondly, what have we done with our time here?  This is something I struggle with, how much time do I waste?  Lots.  Do I have to be out knocking on doors to spread the Gospel, no, but do I need to be building relationships with people I can tell about God's love, growing in my own relationship with God, and building relationships with others who can be encouragers and toe steppers for me, absolutely.  Life will end for all of us, some sooner than later.  That really doesn't scare me anymore, I'm don't want to live in fear.  God tells us in Timothy "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7
So in this time of tragedy, I want to remind myself how short our time here on Earth can be, and how I want mine to count, to touch lives, to be an encouragement to others.  That's what I'm called to do, not to be comfortable and not to be happy, but to be joyful, an encourager, and to plant seeds.

No comments: