Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cooking Score and a Miss

My mom always had the ability to take whatever was in the fridge and make a meal out of it.  And it was normally something tasty.  I came home the other day to a fridge of nothing.  I was so hungry and didn't even have my go to cereal on hand.  So I decided I would give the create something out of nothing a chance.  I did pretty good if I do say so myself...

Ignore the poor photo quality.
 
I always have every kind of wheat noodle imaginable in my cabinets, so I cooked some shell noodles in a big pot.  While they were cooking, I heated up some butter in the skillet, added some shredded Mexican cheese blend that was about to go bad.  When the shells were ready, I drained them and added them to the skillet.  Then I added a little crushed garlic and cayenne pepper.  For a little green color (I have lots of trouble adding anything healthy and green to my diet, so I have to fit it in where I can), I put in some spinach leaves.  I put it in the my bowl and took a bite, pretty good, but not delicious, so I found some pre-made spaghetti sauce opened in the fridge and added a couple spoon fulls of that, just what the doctor ordered.  It was really good if I do say so myself.  I ended up taking the leftovers to work and eating it for lunch two days!
 
And the fail...
I love deviled eggs (if you leave the nasty pickles out), so when they said they were doing hamburgers and hotdogs at church Sunday night, I thought it would be the perfect time to try my hand at deviled eggs.  I know at some point in my life I've boiled eggs, but apparently I forgot how.  So I put those babies on to boil (almost a whole dozen) and left them a while (this is where a more intelligent person would have looked up how long it takes to boil eggs).  After several minutes, I pulled them off the heat, and pulled them out, started cracking and peeling.  When I cut them open, this is what I found...
 
Again, I need to take better pictures
 
I knew that wasn't going to work, but I wasn't going to be denied my eggs, so I put the rest back in boiling water.  I proceeded to finish the laundry, do a few other things, and went back and went thru the same routine.  Cut them open, and while not as gooey yellow as the first time, not the hard boiled centers I had seen my mom use for deviled eggs.  So I decided that I wouldn't put my fellow church members in harms way of possible salmonella, I would use the sad looking yolks myself when I got home, I mean I already had all the other ingredients in the bowl.  So, when I returned home, I cut those yolks out and started mixing.  I took my first test bite, GAG!!!!  Straight to the garbage. 
I have been advised now on how the boiling process should go, so I'm expecting much better results next time around.
 
So there are my scores and fails in the kitchen last week!!

No comments: