Friday, April 6, 2012

It Feels So Good

So this week has been my return to running.  It's been awesome!!

You may or may not know, I did something to my ankle/heel last summer while training for a half marathon.  I have yet to be able to move past it.  The sports med doc determined it was bursitis in the heel.  I did Celebrex, ice, and an air cast, but it was very little help.  So I kind of quit running.  Not fun.  Every so often, I would do a little, but not much, and the pain always came back.  So then I really quit running.  I would say since November, I've run maybe 2 or 3 times.  I think the rest did me some good.  Insanity was starting to irritate it with all the jumping, but we've backed off that a little. 

I didn't really intentionally start back, but Monday night the exercise room was full with a yoga class, so we got on the treadmills, and it was awesome.  There is just something oddly rewarding about running.

This was the week...

Sunday afternoon a 2.5 mile or so walk.

Monday night, sprints on the treadmill that nearly killed me.

Tuesday night, a walk/run with my Mama for a little over 1.5 miles.

Wednesday morning, a 2 mile walk/run (and breakfast with one of my favorites... an added bonus!)

Thursday morning when I woke up, foot said, let's take a break, and so I did.

Friday morning, a walk/run for 3.7 miles (and breakfast with a bunch of my favorites!)

I definitely need to ice and Advil tonight, but it isn't hurting.  Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm so thankful.

I think a key has been the walk breaks, there is just something about the force of the pounding pavement that irritates that bursa.

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them, but I'm just so thankful to be doing a little something like running again!!




No comments: